I know a lot of folks don’t like to write in this format, but let me tell you why I enjoy it.
- You have to really make every word count in order to tell a story with a specific beginning, middle and end.
- You have to be creative about how much to share and when.
- It makes you very aware of your characters, setting, and goals for the piece.
- You can always expand it later into: a short story, novelette, novella or <gasp> a novel…in fact, you can string together a group of flash fiction stories and transform them into any one of those larger forms. (I know, I’ve done it).
- Limiting the number of words makes writing less scary. Yes, you read that right – sometimes the thought of writing thousands of words can stop me in my tracks. But telling a story in 150-500 words – not so terrifying. It let’s you write in easily chewable bite sized portions.
- And if you are like me, and you like to write daily – it makes for a satisfying writing experience. (Yes I am working on several larger pieces that I expect to become novellas, but the flash fiction allows me to feel as though I’ve accomplished something. And I have!)
So consider this as you scan for places to publish or contests to enter. And spend some time writing a little flash fiction.